anti-microbial properties, antioxidants, Better skin, Boosting energy levels, brides, cleansing agent, Conditioning hair, conditioning mask, constipation, curing indigestion, Decreasing stress, diarrhoea, effective weight loss agent, emollient cleanser, extra energy boost, facial pores, fructose, gastroenteritis, glowing skin, glucose, grooms-to-be, ground almonds, honey, Honey dissolved in warm water lemon juice, Honey hydrates, honey-milk face wash, Indigestion, lemon juice, losing weight, lowers high blood pressure, lustrous silky hair, mixture honey cinnamon powder, natural sugars, oats, Olive Oil, potassium, promote good health, reduce stress anxiety, regenerates the skin, skin pores, speed up metabolism, sweetener, UV damage, wedding guests, wedding season
Now that the wedding season is around the corner, everyone from brides to grooms-to-be, their families and wedding guests will worry about looking good, staying energetic, and of course, losing weight. The remedy to several wedding season complaints and concerns is honey.
- Better skin. Honey contains antioxidants and possesses anti-microbial properties, that not only help promote good health, but protect the skin from UV damage. Honey hydrates and regenerates the skin, making it supple and soft. Honey can be used as a cleansing agent as it absorbs impurities from skin pores. For radiant, glowing skin try a honey-milk face wash. Or combine honey, ground almonds, oats and lemon juice to make an emollient cleanser for facial pores. To combat dry skin, soak in a warm bath with honey to make it silky soft.
- Decreasing stress. Honey contains potassium which helps reduce stress and anxiety; it also lowers the risk of high blood pressure.
- Losing weight and curing indigestion. Honey dissolved in warm water with a drop or two of lemon juice is known to speed up metabolism and is an effective weight loss agent. A mixture of honey and cinnamon powder in a cup of boiling water will help cut fat; it will also help overcome stomach problems such as indigestion, diarrhoea, constipation and gastroenteritis.
- Boosting energy levels. Honey contains natural sugars, glucose (31%) and fructose (38%) that are absorbed faster than refined sugars. Used as a sweetener in drinks and beverages, honey not only cuts the calories, it provides an extra energy boost to keep you going.
- Conditioning hair. Revitalise your hair with a conditioning mask made with honey and olive oil; massage into the scalp and leave for about half an hour; shampoo and rinse as usual for lustrous silky hair.
— Dr Samia Babar
The writer is Director, Health Awareness Society.
First published in The Health Advertiser Section of The DAWN National Weekend Advertiser on September 11, 2011.