anguage institutes, Anjum Hasan, Arabic, art institutes, baking, bi-lingual, children, clubs, cooking, cultural centres, dance clubs, French, fun, hotels, kitchen, languages, Mandarin, math, motor skills, performing arts academies, pottery, private chefs, private pools, science skills, Spanish, summer, summer camps, Summer Fun For Kids, summer programme, swimming lessons
The sweltering summer is trying for children, and parents who have to bear the brunt of the summer heat and bored children. If you are in such a situation, enrol them into a summer programme that provides stimulating, guided fun.
Here are few activities worth trying out:
- Get crafty in the kitchen. Cooking and baking classes are popular for both boys and girls. This is a hands-on activity that improves motor skills, teaches discipline and boosts math and science skills. And it is incredibly satisfying for kids to eat a treat of their own creation.
Classes offered by private chefs: Rs 4,000-7,000 per month.
- Getting jiggy with it. Hip hop lessons are all the rage with kids these days; hip hop dancing improves flexibility and coordination and is a great way for children to stay active.
Classes available at dance clubs and performing arts academies: Rs 4,000-Rs 11,000 per month.
- Get pottering with clay. Dabbling in crafts, particularly pottery, is a good way for children to unleash their creativity. Working with clay helps develop sensory and motor skills and encourages self expression.
Classes available at summer camps and art institutes: Rs 5,000-8,000 per month.
- Getting bi-lingual. Younger children pick up new languages quite fast, so enrol them into a summer language programme that they can continue during the school year. Learning a new language not only boosts cognitive skills but also builds cultural awareness. French and Spanish are popular choices but Mandarin and Arabic are equally useful.
Classes available at language institutes and cultural centres: Rs 3,000-5,000 per month.
- Get splashing. If all else fails there are always swimming lessons; a great way to cool down, burn off some energy and learn a life skill.
Lessons available at clubs, hotels, summer camps and private pools: Rs 3,000-10,000 per month
– Anjum Hasan
First published in the Adbuzzzz Section of The DAWN National Weekend Advertiser on June 30, 2013.