AC, AC lines, air control button, ‘O’ rings, bonnet, cabin air filter, Circulate Mode, clogs, compressor clutch tension, compressor drive belt, condenser unit, Cool Sun, Drive Cool This Ramazan, dust, evaporator, expansion valve, eye-glass, floor mats, hoses, Lahore, lubricating oil, mechanic, radiator, receiver-dryer, refrigerant gas, refrigerant gas levels, scorching summer, Syed Wajeeh-ul-Hassan Naqvi
With Ramazan approaching and the scorching summer upon us, here are a few tips to ensure that your car’s AC performs at optimal level:
- Check the car for low refrigerant gas levels through the eye-glass on the receiver-dryer (located at the upper right side of the bonnet and resembles a black bottle). If the liquid level is low, have it topped up by a mechanic.
- Check the receiver-dryer and expansion valve (which are located in the bonnet) for frosting; frosting indicates clogs which should be cleared by a mechanic.
- On average, cars lose up to 15% of their refrigerant gas annually, so have the system flushed and recharged with new refrigerant gas and lubricating oil every four years at a reliable workshop. Avoid workshops that give heavy discounts as they usually use low quality gas, which can damage the system.
- Have the condenser unit (located in front of the radiator) steam washed at least once a year to remove the dust to prevent choking.
- Clean the cabin air filter (located behind the glove compartment) to ensure an easy flow of air at least once every three months. On average, the filter needs to be changed every two years.
- Have the AC lines, hoses, ‘O’ rings and seals checked for leaks.
- Have the compressor drive belt and compressor clutch tension checked by a mechanic. A loose drive belt or clutch hampers the operation of the compressor.
- Keep the floor mats clean to prevent dust from entering and choking the evaporator.
- Set the air control button to Circulate Mode to prevent any dust from entering the car from the outside.
– Syed Wajeeh-ul-Hassan Naqvi
Information provided by Cool Sun, Lahore.
First published in the Adbuzzzz Section of The DAWN National Weekend Advertiser on July 7, 2013.