Born in Karachi in 1935, Habib Fida Ali, who passed away on January 7, was among Pakistan’s foremost architects. He studied at the Architectural Association School of Architecture (AA) in the 1950s and was the first Pakistani student there. After returning to Pakistan, he worked with the American architect William Perry, before beginning his own practice in 1965.
In the years that followed, Habib Fida Ali became an icon in his own right; his work was visible across Pakistan and his portfolio included a diversity of buildings ranging from schools, mosques, offices, malls, hotels and residences, including the National Bank of Pakistan, the CAS School, The Forum, the Burma Shell Building and LUMS. Habib Fida Ali was also the recipient of several awards over the years for his work. Continue reading