The earth-toned main building was built in the ‘Italianate’ style
If you find yourself on main Shahrah-e-Iraq, look east. Through the din and smog that defines the heart of Saddar, the horizon offers an incongruous sight; St Patrick’s Cathedral flanked on one side by the sprawling yet serene campus of St Joseph’s Convent School (SJC).
Educating women for over 150 years… SJC was founded in 1862 by Monsignor Steins, the Vicar Apostolic of Bombay and five Sisters of the Cross who came to Karachi from Belgium for missionary work. The school has educated thousands of prominent Pakistani women ever since, including Uzma Aslam Khan, Dr Hamida Khuhro, Maria B, Marvi Memon, Mehreen Jabbar, Sania Saeed, Maliha Lodhi, and Zubeida Mustafa.
Discussing a project with the team
A serene campus… The campus consists of several buildings, of which the most imposing is the earth-toned Main Building, believed to be designed by an Italian architect called Father Pagani in the ‘Italianate’ style, complete with arches and columns. Several classrooms and hallways are located on the ground floor, while a small chapel and the nuns’ living area is on the first floor. Continue reading