Anthony’s High School, automobile repair shops, books, China Chowk, Christian community, dome, Dr M Dubbeleere, history, John Lawrence, Lahore, Lahore Zoo, Lawrence Gardens, Lawrence Road, Mall Road, office space, readymade clothes, Regal Chowk, Retail space, Roman-Byzantine, Sacred Heart Cathedral, Sacred Heart School, serenity, standalone shops, steeple, Syed Wajeeh-ul-Hassan Naqvi, tailoring services, towers, turrets, Viceroy of India
Named after John Lawrence, Viceroy of India (1864-1869), Lawrence Road is one of Lahore’s oldest thoroughfares and stretches between China Chowk and Regal Chowk. Several historic landmarks are located there as well as several commercial enterprises.
A magnificent Cathedral… Sacred Heart Cathedral, Lahore’s largest church, is located on Lawrence Road. Established in 1907, it was designed by Belgian designer Dr M Dubbeleere in the Roman-Byzantine style. This magnificent structure has a steeple that rises to 165 feet, flanked by two towers, and an imposing 120 feet high dome surrounded by four elegant turrets. Today, as Easter is celebrated, members of Lahore’s Christian community will attend morning service at the Cathedral and the sounds of hymns will resound throughout the premises and beyond. Continue reading