. Retailers, biryani, Book Street, Botal Gali, Boulton Market, bulk buying, bun kebabs, chana chaat, coconut water, Colonel C F Boulton, confectionaries, crockery, dal chawal, desi street fare, Dilpasand Bakery, discounted rates, electronics, empty bottles, fashion accessories, first vegetable and fruit market, gulab jamun, haleem, halwa, Karachi, Karachi’s wholesale shopping, Khajoor Market, Medicine Market, Municipal Commissioner of Karachi, nimbo pani, oils, open food carts, paper, Paper Market, Plastic market, popular sub-markets, rabri, samosas, several fountains, spacious halls, specialist markets, spices, stationery, Uzma Nawaz, Wholesale heave
Built in 1883, Boulton Market was named after Colonel C. F. Boulton, the then Municipal Commissioner of Karachi. It was one of the first vegetable and fruit markets to have been established in Karachi, and measured 100 feet in length and 80 feet in width initially; the size was increased in 1886, to accommodate stalls for fresh meat and fish. It also had three yards, three spacious halls, as well as several fountains.
The Market lives on… A few decades ago, the building was demolished and another building was constructed in its place. However, Boulton Market lives on, as the site where it was constructed continues to be called Boulton Market. Continue reading