Searching for a job can be a real energy sapping experience especially if you are jobless and the news repeatedly unfavourable. A very common reaction is to let your spirits sag and lose focus of what needs to be done.
Here are a few tips that will help to lift your spirits while you continue with the job search:
1. Positive environment. Ensure that you are constantly surrounded by positive vibes, especially when it comes to people you associate with. Try to read books and watch TV shows that are uplifting rather than gloomy or depressing. Avoid negativity.
2. Self-talk. Reframe negative thoughts like “The company didn’t hire me because I am less competent” with “The position did not match my profile”. Use positive phrases like “I am confident to get the job suiting my strengths” or “This too shall pass like before”. Repetition with belief is key.
3. Stay busy. An empty mind is the devil’s workshop. Keep yourself occupied. Network, read books or articles on self-development, do apprenticeships/internships, attend seminars/workshops, etc.
4. Visualise. Keep rehearsing the interviews with different perspectives and difficult situations. Play “What-If” games through the interviewer’s eyes, repeatedly seeing yourself as the winner.
5. Numbers game. Think of giving interviews like selling a product, only it is YOU that you are selling. An interview like sales is a numbers game. With each NO, you get closer to a YES!
6. Physical needs. Ensure your body gets proper rest and diet. At least seven hours of sleep and a healthy diet should be maintained especially before interviews.
7. Stress. Counter it through positive self-talk, hobbies, physical fitness, etc. Having a physical and emotional outlet is healthy.
8. Read the Signs. Maybe life is giving you the opportunity to do something completely different. Explore other career options.
Mohammad Muneeb Kidwai is an independent trainer, teacher and coach at The Change Agency.
First published in the Careers Section of The DAWN National Weekend Advertiser on July 25, 2010.